The Awards for Excellence are annual awards that recognize excellence in the design and execution of a building that incorporates the use of architectural glass and metal. One award will be presented in each category (DESIGN and EXECUTION).
The awards competition opens in January of each year. Any member of the OGMA in good standing may submit as many nominations as they wish. Projects nominated will be reviewed by a panel of judges consisting of one OGMA Director and two practicing architects.
Winner of the 2017 Award for Excellence in Design:
Noram Building Systems for its work on Vaughan Civic Centre Resource Library in Vaughan, Ontario
Feedback from the judges: The curvilinear form of the building’s plan coupled with the vertical cant in two axis of the curtainwall system requires significant design detailing and coordination, and generates construction challenges which are all successfully met. This building is a dynamic and excellent example of the application of standard curtainwall technology to create a very visually distinct façade.
Winner of the 2017 Award for Excellence in Execution:
Diamond Schmitt Architects for its work on Lazaridis Hall, Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario
Feedback from the judges: Notwithstanding the impressive cantilevers, the elegant yet somewhat conservative exterior belies an impressive courtyard interior whose character is defined by an awe-inspiring curvilinear skylight. The transparency of the projecting glass-clad bays within the courtyard, juxtaposed against wood-slat clad walls, create visual nodes of activity and interest within the warm yet modern multi-storey space.
Submissions for nominations must include a minimum of 10 photographs of the nominated project and a comprehensive description of between 200 and 500 words. Submissions should be sent in digital format, accompanied by high resolution, print-quality photos.
Details of the awards:
- Projects nominated will be reviewed by a panel of judges consisting of one current OGMA Director; one practicing architect and one OGMA member
- Submittals for nominations must include a minimum of 10 photographs of the nominated project and a comprehensive description of between 200 and 500 words. Submittals may be sent in digital format with high resolution print quality photos
Criteria for the awards:
- Nominations must be made on the official nomination form, which must be completely filled out.
- The project must be located within the Province of Ontario.
- The project architect must be registered with the OAA.
- The glazing contractor must be registered as a business in Ontario.
- The project must have been completed within the last five years.
- Nominations must be made by a member in good standing of the Ontario Glass & Metal Association; however, the glazing contractor and the architectural/design firm need not be members.
- Members are not restricted in the number of nominations submitted.
- The project must incorporate glazing systems from North American manufacturers.
- Projects nominated need not be large; nominations can be made for portions of a project.
Nominations will be judged equally upon:
- Unique, pleasing or complex design or features.
- Level of difficulty in design.
- Level of difficulty in execution and the quality of fabrication and installation, as indicated in the photos provided.
- Incorporation of elements of sustainable design.
Winner of the 2016 Award for Excellence in Execution:
TAGG Industries for its work on Google’s Canadian headquarters in Kitchener, Ontario
Read about the awards here.
Watch the awards presentation below: