With the constantly changing laws and regulations regarding workplace safety and workers health, a glazing contractor owner or manager cannot possibly stay up to date and in compliance without the assistance of a professional in this field.
To address this province-wide industry need, the Ontario Glass & Metal Association teamed up with the Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS) to create the OGMA/WSPS Health & Safety Manual, which is tailored to the needs of companies in the glass and architectural metals field.
Most companies are aware of the importance of maintaining a safe environment in their fabrication facilities and in the field, and many have programs in place to address their safety needs. Where these homegrown programs fall down is in their documentation and diligent record keeping. In the event of a workplace accident or when facing a “Workwell Audit,” the only defense a company can offer will be in the form of the records they keep of their safely policies, their safety and procedures training records, and their routine follow up that their policies are being followed. Without this documentation in place, the economical consequences of having a serious accident could be devastating. This is where the OGMA/WSPS Health & Safety Manual proves its value to the glazing contractor who follows the procedures laid out in the program diet pills that work for women.
The program provides the glazing contractor with:
- Policies and procedures that will assist OGMA members in meeting legislative requirements.
- A Hazard Assessment of the work location will be carried out by a WSPS consultant. A completed Hazard Assessment Report and Executive Summary will be provided outlining significant risks.
- A Violence Risk Assessment based on violence risk factors will be completed by a WSPS Consultant and a Violence Risk Assessment Report and Executive Summary will be provided.
- An Implementation Plan for the Health and Safety Program will be developed.
- WSPS will provide ongoing coaching and guidance to assist in the implementation of the Program for OGMA members.
- Safety procedures for every tool and piece of equipment used in their facilities.
- SCIP training – WSIB incentive program, led by WSPS consultant.
For example, On July 1, 2014, Ontario Regulation 297/13 took effect as part of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) under the heading “Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training.” Also, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) legislation was enacted by the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development, Employment & Infrastructure in 2005 and will be enforced in phases through 2025. WSPS will be able to guide you through a myriad of issues and requirements such as these that you’d never be able to keep up with on your own.
Click here to download a recent important update on training requirements taking effect in March 2016.
For more information or to become a member of the OGMA/WSPS Health & Safety Manual program, please contact Charmaine Mitchell, our group manager, at 905-614-1400, ext. 2028,1-877-494-9777, or by email at email@example.com.
Categories: Members Bulletins